Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Tis the season to be grateful

       I've seen lots of people posting on Facebook lately the things they are grateful for. This is a practice that I think is great but the blaring fog horn that is a FB status bothers me sometimes. I'm not even sure why I get on there, other than the fact that I have figured out its likely I have voyeuristic tendencies, but I do go on FB and when I see all these posts, the cynical side of me comes out and the comics in my head  go to town. But I really do believe in being grateful and stating what you are grateful often. How else is the universe supposed to know what more to give you if you don't give it some feedback.
       "Ah yes, I really enjoyed the free car wash I received from my over priced oil change yesterday, that was nice. Loved the clearance prices on chicken at the store the other night---Awesome. However, the mouse that I found running across the floor of my office as I flipped on the switch this morning..... yeah, that I could do without, thanks"
        So because I believe in stating what you are grateful for, I am choosing to write a posting instead of a status update. Probably because as much as I hate just going with the crowd there is a secret part of me that just wants people to like me, and think I am cool, and an even littler part of me (however still present) that wants people to know how freaking awesome my life is.

So here is a list of 10 things I'm grateful for

1. Naturally ---my husband. Through thick and thin, he has always loved me. He's not always liked me... but I don't doubt his love for me. And that's huge because sometimes I'm a bitch, and I can imagine how hard that is to love.
2. My kids. They make me laugh everyday. And sometimes make me scream. But I love them so much it hurts. Best decision ever. Also freaking hardest thing on Earth
3. My job. Its hard. Its complicated. Its even a little bit boring, but I can pay the bills every month and that saves me a lot of bounced checks
4. My house. Its pretty much awesome
5. Toilet paper. Can't be grateful enough for toilet paper. Probably shouldn't go into much why.
6. My cars. Yep two. We have two cars that are functional (although not all are currently registered) and that is something that I think a lot of people take for granted. I know I do. We only had one (and for a while none) and having 2 cars is awesome
7. My voice. I recently lost my voice and while I am happy to say that I am slowly finding it again, we are going on a solid 5 days of not being able to sing along to the radio and sounding like a pre-pubesent boy and.... its getting old.
8. My kids school. I went to a parent meeting last night and while I came out of it rather frustrated and kind of pissed with some things, I know they are things I can do something about and don't need to just sit in my stew of nasty thoughts and feelings. After listening to my sisters and the problems they have with their schools, I know I have a voice (however froggy at the moment) and can make changes. That is huge for me.
9. My dishwasher. I'm not sure I could ever choose just one thing to have on a deserted island with me so I would choose lots and one of the things I would choose would be a dishwasher. It makes all the coconut margarita bowls I would be cleaning the morning after a totally sweet beach party not as daunting.
10. Spell check. Because of spell check my lacking spelling skills no longer have to haunt me and I don't always look like an idiot because I don't know how to spell "definitely" despite the many numonic devices out there.

There are so many things I take for granted on a daily basis. Even though they are often glanced over, I'm happy to take the time to call out each one and thank it for its presence in my life. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment