I used to really enjoy writing here and then the pressure to be funny and quick witted started to get to me and I stopped. But I like being funny. And quick witted. So sans pressure, I will begin to write again. Sometimes about my kids, sometime about my job, or sometimes whatever the hell happens to float past the vastness that is my mind.
Saturday, December 25, 2010
Just call me Mr. Grinch
I had been trying really hard to have a good holiday spirit and make the season bright for Juan and Paco (seasonal call signs for Ethan and Caleb) and not be like uber monster mom from hades. Probably could have done better but due to said holiday season I had eaten Caleb's weight in candies and goodies and was in sugar toxic overload and kind of crabby. Also Project Big Daddy (David's seasonal call sign) and I had spent like 3 nights in a row staying up into the wee hours of the morning making these awesome looking pillow pets for the boys. I am super grateful that those were the fad this year and not tickle me Elmo because I don't think we could have pulled those off. Anyway, we were busy being crafty and were running on no sleep, so I told the boys on the morning of Christmas Eve to go play in their toy room and I was going to snooze with the baby. Have done it before (bad mommy habits revealed) I thought I could hopefully get a good 45 minutes out of them. I got an hour. I almost didn't believe my good fortune until I went into the front room and found my two darling little boys in front of the Christmas tree having had opened one of Paco's presents and there was wrapping paper everywhere. Ethan is a genius for two reasons. 1- He chose Caleb's present to open and not any of his own therefore Caleb should be the one to receive my wrath and 2- When I was standing there with my mouth gaping wide he said "But mom.... it's Christmas. You said we only had to wait until Christmas" He did have a good point. Caleb had been trying to convince me for days that because the lights were on the Christmas tree that it was Christmas and we should open the presents so the fact that we actually made it to Christmas eve was pretty amazing. Seriously I am having a hard time combating the logic of my 2 and 4 year olds. I am seriously screwed when they turn 8. So because David the night before had strongly encouraged me to try and have a loving and scream free Christmas eve and in all honesty I had no idea of what to say or do, I calmly told them to go play in their room where they stayed in of their own accord for the next hour. Its probably what saved them from having all their presents taken to the tip top of Mount Crumpit. My father in law of course thought it was hilarious and looking back on it, it probably was. Sometimes I would think it would be funny to have hidden cameras on me to see my reaction because I know there would be some doosies but then you might also see me picking my nose or wiping the babies snot and/or drool on my pants or something. (more bad mommy habits revealed. Thinking about starting another blog) I made it safely through the rest of the day and even dared the store for a few last moment items for Christmas day and remarkably was in and out in 25 minutes. It was a freaking Christmas miracle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don't worry, I've been grinchy this Christmas season too. I love your stories and miss your guts!!
ReplyDelete