Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In need of recipe for humble pie

I have extremely intelligent children. I know that, David knows that and anyone who spends five minutes reading my blog knows that. In a world where self esteem is so hard to grasp or have a healthy sense of, I have no problem telling my children just how smart, creative and even good looking they are. This might all come to bite me in the rear one day. Hopefully no worse than this morning.

Ethan: "Mom, do you want to pretend that you are me?"

Me: "Ok... sure...Why am I pretending that I am you?"

Ethan: "So you can be smart"

Me: "But I am your mother. I am smart"

Ethan: "Hmmm.... not as smart as me"

Me: "Really.... OK well, I will pretend to be you and you can pretend to be me and you can do the laundry"

Ethan: "No thank you. Not today"


So he goes into his play room to play and I slink to the bathroom to regroup and give myself the "Yes you are smart, no matter what the four year old says" talk in the mirror, whisper under my breath several "WTF" and silently pray that I am not raising a narcissist. Goal for today...finish the laundry. Goal for tomorrow.... instill sense of humility in child #1

1 comment:

  1. Ha, ha, ha! I love all your stories, but this one is particularly hilarious to me. I happen to KNOW that you are very smart.

    ReplyDelete